Sunday, May 29, 2011

Getting Sick

Good morning dear reader(s)!

For the past week I have been feeling a little under the weather, which is hard to do when the weather is so cold for late May.  Now it is Memorial Day weekend and of course, it snowed, but since it is Memorial Day weekend I am neither upset by this nor surprised by it.  The last 3 weeks have been cold, but during this weekend, snow is tradition here in the Biggest Little High Desert Crappy Weather Town, so I will not complain about it.  I am actually starting to feel better which is why I have so valiantly decided to resume my post-type-thinging while forgoing my holiday for the sake of my dear reader(s), and boredom.

I was so sick last week that I actually lost my voice.  I was scared that this might also result in the loss of one of the voices in my head, but I am happy to report that they are all accounted for, and there may even be one more hiding up there.  I think I will name her Jim.  My voice went out on me this morning, and I was afraid I was having a relapse, but it turns out that the dehydrating effects of a bottle of whiskey the night before can mimic laryngitis rather effectively.  I will remember that fact when I get my motion picture debut acting job that requires me to play someone with laryngitis who is also dashing and sexy opposite Mila Kunis or Yvonne Strahovski.

Last night as we were having a massive rager at my Biggest Little Rented Luxury Condo In The Ghetto (rager = Hannah and I getting drunk, eating canned cheese and Triscuits, and playing Yahtzee) someone called the police on one of the upstairs neighbors.  I am thinking it was one of the other people who live in the same condo as the upstairs neighbor who the police was called upon.  I love domestic violence.  It is so much more entertaining than international violence, and would have been a lot of fun to observe the cops dealing with it were I not paranoid that the police were actually being called on us for being drunk and disorderly and rolling the Yahtzee dice too loudly.  I have a distrust of police ever since our school system's "Officer Friendly" and 15 or so other Sparks Police Officers raided my friend's house when I was 7 years old because my brother and his friend who were about 10 convinced me to assist them in egging the house across the street in retaliation for my brother having an egg thrown at him earlier in the week.  We launched the assault from the roof of my friend's house and were quite successful in the destruction of our target and other mission objectives until the 8 cop cars sped into the driveway, the cops fanning out across the property, unbuttoning their gun holsters as they ran, and when my unknowing older sister and her friend (who were charged with watching us) answered the door, proceeded to attempt an arrest of them when they honestly said they had no idea what the cops were talking about.  My sister made the thankfully not fatal mistake of trying to jump on one of the cop's back when he tried to cuff her friend and was subsequently arrested, charged with assault on a Police Officer, taken to Juvenile Hall and sentenced to 1 year of house arrest.  (My brother will owe her until the day she dies for that one.)  I was immediately caught by a cop as I was climbing slowly (fear of heights even back then) off the roof.  I made no attempts at resisting, except for crying rather profusely.  My brother and his friend were caught trying to run away, if I remember correctly.  We had won the battle, but lost the war.  Anyway, even though I was only taken to the station where I waited until my mom was called and subsequently released, my first experience with police was not what I could call a positive one.  I may have only been 7 years old, but I remember wondering at the time why it took so many cops, flying up the street, with guns at the ready, to subdue three boys under the age of 12 egging a house in broad daylight, and two 14 year old girls who were inside baking at the time. 

That "Officer Friendly" who later told me to turn in my parents if they were using marijuana when he taught the "D.A.R.E." program to my sixth grade glass had a son.  I went to Junior High with that kid.  He was a thug little jerk who shot me with a BB Gun when I was walking home from school one day.  Years later, he was killed in a park in Reno, in a drug deal that went bad.  While I certainly take no joy in that fact, what I do take from that is the fact that a badge and a gun does not make someone a good person, good parent, good citizen, or even good at their job.  The memories of these two events involving the same officer have combined to make me a little less trustworthy of authority, particularly police, than your average citizen.  Why am I pointing this out?  Well, because I often write about the dislike that I have for police in this area, how I think that they are not doing a very good job, or that they overstep their authority.  I would like to be honest about any potential bias I have in this area so that you can form your own opinions with the knowledge that since I was 7, I never really liked cops. 

That said, I am about to go RPD bashing.  Not in like a physical, violent type of way, but I am about to call them out on a recent raid they made in the Neil Road area. 

Before you all freak out, let me just say that I have no intention of saying that they were harassing the residents of the area for being Mexican as some people immediately claimed after the raids took place. No, they were doing their jobs, serving high-risk warrants to dangerous individuals.  That is why we have police.  No, what I am upset about is the way they decided to make the execution of their jobs into some sort of PR stunt.  If these warrants were so high-risk, why did they invite the media?  Also, this is their job. 

You are a cop and this is why you get paid.  Why do you want some sort of brownie points for doing what you get paid a rather decent sum of money to do?  You take that job understanding that in the course of the job, there are certain dangers you may encounter, so don't ask me to thank you when you FINALLY get to work.  Did you catch that foreshadowing?  Here it is again, in case you missed it the first time, I said FINALLY.

Here is a quote, directly from an article on KOLO, for what the police said to the media after grandstanding about, you know, doing what we pay them to do after the early morning raids on Friday, May 27th.  "Reno police say the area around Neil Road has been a haven for gang members and drug activity, and beginning now, that is going to change. "  Okay, hold on a minute,  Reno police say that the area around Neil Road has been a haven for gang members and drug activity?  Um...why?  Are you not the fucking police?  Do you not have tools to enforce laws against that kind of thing?  Beginning now, that is going to change?  Why now?  When your budgets are being cut and supposedly now you can't guarantee the public safety?  Now you are finally going to enforce the laws?  And you want us to be happy about that?  What is even worse, is that this article basically explains that the warrants served were federal warrants and that the local SWAT was acting in cooperation with US attorneys and the DEA.  In other words, Reno wasn't doing shit so the feds had to get involved.  This article ends with "Police say this is only the beginning."  Okay, now I am just laughing.  After 20 years of drugs, gangs, and violent crime, this is only the beginning?  What the hell is it that you do then, officers?  Here is the link to the press release-er-article if you would like to read it for yourself:  http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Drug_Bust_Nets_At_Least_One_Arrest_122718909.html

Well, I should go because I am feeling light-headed and am starting to lose my voice.  Not from getting sick, but from screaming at all of the garbage people are blindly accepting in return for the feeling of a little safety.  

Until next time dear reader(s), don't read the news, it'll make you sick.   

1 comment:

  1. Um, Neil road ?? The Neil road that has been a "haven" since *forever*? Wow, that IS newsworthy. No wonder they involved the press.

    ReplyDelete